Sunday, July 11, 2010

Language

I can't remember the exact statistics, but there's some study that shows that knowing about 100 words will make it so you understand ~ 80% of an average text, 1000 words for 90% and so on exponentially. It made me realise that after about 6 months of learning French it's not entirely ridiculous for me to be trying to read just about everything I can in it. It's still nowhere near up to my German, and even bits of Indonesian, having been studied for 5 years some 10 years ago now, are more advanced. However, what I do know is fairly solid and is beginning to become more innate, rather than needing a translation in my brain. Anyway, being able to read in the language is a major step to move from translating in my head to being able to think in this language, and it made me feel like I opened up a whole world of faster learning.
My supp exam hasn't been worked on at all today, but I remain confident, as I should be good for 2/5 of it, 1/5 is looking pretty good, the last 2 will need some work but not heaps. Tomorrow shouldn't be written off though.
Tomorrow should just generally be productive, assuming I can sleep better hours tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment